Two-step Authentication in Hotmail
Like Gmail and Facebook, Microsoft provides 2-step security verification to safeguard its mail accounts (Hotmail or Outlook) for the customers. Security verification is a necessary setting that you should not overlook after registering your Microsoft account. It hinders any hackers from logging in using your identity even they have your password. Whenever signing in from a suspected device, you will be prompted to enter a security code.
Before starting the authentication procedure, you should provide your phone number or an alternate email ID. It is such an instruction for you as: Add phone numbers & email preventative for Microsoft Account. Then, you could follow these steps:
1. Click your profile image in the upper-right corner of the inbox, choose "view account". Or you could visit this link https://account.microsoft.com.
2. Select "Security & Privacy" in the menu bar and then select "More security settings".
3. If you are required to verify your identity, enter your phone number or email ID. Then, a security code will be sent to your phone or your email. If not, go to step 4.
You enter a code to the box Code ---> click "submit".
4. Scroll down and choose "Set up two-step verification". Click "next".
5. You have three choices verifying your identity.
o An app
o A phone number
o An alternate email address
Choose one of the three, follow the instructions and click "next".
6. Because you're accessing sensitive information, you need to verify your password.
Enter password and click "sign in".
Done. You have successfully completed two-step authentication for Hotmail accounts!