Instagram - www.instagram.com
Instagram is an online mobile video-sharing, image-sharing and social networking service that enables its users to take pictures and videos and share them publicly or privately on the app, as well as through such other social networking platforms as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Flickr. It was created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger and launched in October 2010 as a free mobile app. It rapidly gains popularity, with over 500 million monthly active users as of October 2016.
Originally, what makes Instagram distinctive is that it confined photos to a square shape similar to Kodak Instamatic and Polaroid SX-70 images, in contrast to the 4:3 aspect ratio typically used by mobile device cameras. Images can also be applied with a variety of effects through digital filters integrated in the app. According to its creator, Instagram is created to solve 3 problems:
- Take professional-looking photos with little effort through awesome looking filters.
- Share your moments on multiple platforms instantly.
- Optimized for fast and efficient uploading.
In April 2012, Instagram was acquired by Facebook for approximately US$ 1 billion in cash and stocks.
1. Create an Instagram account
- Open the app on your device. If you don't have the app, click here for Instagram App.
- Click Sign Up at the bottom.
- You will have two options, Log in with Facebook or Sign Up With Phone or Email.
- Provide your full name and choose a username and password.
- Instagram will help you make friends with other users.
Find out more about Instagram Sign up.
2. Sign into Instagram
- Open your Instagram app.
- Type in your Username and Password.
- Click Login.
You can also log in with your Facebook account, follow our tutorial on Instagram Sign in.
One of the things that make Instagram popular when it came out was its filter system. After taking pictures with the app, users can immediately apply them with a wide range of digital photographic filters to produce professional-looking photographs with little to no effort.
At the moment, Instagram offers 36 filters at your disposal.
Video-sharing feature debuted on Instagram in June 2013, allowing videos with a 640x640 fixed resolution and 15-second limit in length. Now, videos can be up to 1080p in resolution and 60 seconds in duration.
C. Instagram Stories
On August 2, 2016, Instagram launched a new feature called Instagram Stories. Instagram Stories allows users to share photos and videos, which will disappear after 24 hours and won’t appear on the user's profile grid or in their feed. Photos and videos from stories can also be saved and shared to the feed.
D. Instagram Direct
Instagram Direct is a private photo-sharing, video-sharing as well as messaging feature that was launched in December, 2012.