Add, change or remove your legacy contact on Facebook
A legacy contact is someone you choose to manage your Facebook account after you die. They'll be able to do things like pin a post on your timeline, respond to new friend requests and update your profile picture, etc. Once your account is memorialized, your legacy contact will be notified and gain the ability to do things like:
- Write a pinned post for your profile (ex: to share a final message on your behalf or provide information about a memorial service).
- Respond to new friend requests (ex: old friends or family members who weren't yet on Facebook).
- Update your profile picture and cover photo.
You also have the option to allow your legacy contact to download a copy of what you've shared on Facebook. In that download, a legacy contact will receive:
- Photos and videos you uploaded.
- Wall posts.
- Profile and contact info.
- Friends list.
Your legacy contact can't:
- Log into your account.
- Remove or change past posts, photos and other things shared on your Timeline.
- Read your messages.
- Remove any of your friends.
How to add a legacy contact on Facebook
Step 1: Log into your Facebook account.
Step 2: Click the down arrow iconin the upper-right corner and select Settings.
Step 3: Click Manage Account.
Step 4: Enter a friend's name into the box and select a right profile from the drop-down list.
Step 5: Click Add.
Step 6: Click Send to let your friend know that they are now your Facebook legacy contact.
If you want to change or remove a legacy contact, just follow steps 1-3 above, then click Remove and add a new contact.
Note: You must be 18 or older to select a legacy contact and you can only add a Facebook friend as your legacy contact.